Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Broke Down

Well, I broke down and went grocery shopping. I couldn't stand to pass up the good deals any longer. I did awesome too. I got 135.00 in groceries for only 30 bucks!! Almost 80% savings. Woo Hoo!!!

My food storage is plugging along. Funny story: I was at the store last week and they were having a deal where if you bought $30.00 worth of participating products, you could receive $15.00 back to use next time at check out. Well, I was already purchasing about $14.00 worth of those participating items so I decided to throw 16 additional packages of rice in order to qualify for the $15.00 back. The rice was only $1.00 each so essentially it was like I was getting 16 packs of rice for $1.00 out of pocket. Good deal right?? Well, I was in line and I loaded all my items up on the conveyor belt. There was an older gentleman behind me and he said to me "That sure is a lot of rice!!!" I said, "Yes, they were having a good sale!" then he said "were they having a sale on peanut butter too??" I had bought 4 of those. I told him that I was one of those crazy coupon shoppers and asked him to watch my totals as the checker rang up my items. So she starts checking me out. The total was $135.00 then I handed her my savings card and they guy watched my total go down to $80.00. He was impressed. But I wasn't done. I then handed her my coupons. that brought the total down to $45.00. He was laughing by this point and asking me if I was a "professional" I told him that I wasn't done yet and to keep watching. So I pay the checker and then my $15.00 rewards print out. So I turn to the man and say "see.... now i have $15.00 for next time too". By this time, he's no longer laughing, he's asking me where I get my coupons and how much time I spend, etc. It was so funny. The guy thought I was nuts for buying so much rice but after he saw all my savings, he changed his tune!
My daughter is allergic to all sorts of startches. Rice is about the only thing she is not allergic to. We eat a lot of rice around here and it lasts forever so it's not like it will go bad. I think I did good!

2 comments:

Bonstergirl said...

Wow! That's an awesome story. I'm going to have to start using coupons.

I'm glad to see your blog. I've also recently started a food-storage journey. And I've also started a blog, as kind of a diary and to share my journey. Stop by some time at www.dragonranchinn.blogspot.com.

Bonnie

The Prudent Homemaker said...

That's awesome! I love your story!

We can eat a jar of peanut butter at one lunch, so 4 jars doesn't last long here!