Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Creative Food Storage Options

I've mentioned before that you have to be creative when you live in a small space.
Luckily I have a very handy husband.
Looks like an ordinary bed right??
But underneath is this....
Our bed sits on top of a giant storage box with seven different compartments. 6 square compartments and on long rectangular section running down the middle. He made it himself and it takes down easily if we ever move so we can take it with us!!
Each square compartment holds 4 five gallon buckets (24 total) or 32 (yep.... 32) #10 cans (192 total). I'm really looking forward to filling this thing up. The center rectangular compartment can also hold quite a bit. I will probably put #10 cans in there as well after the other sections are filled up. I'm estimating the center compartment can hold about 80 #10 cans as well.

Now I just have to make a bedskirt to match my bedding which will hang down and conceal the storage boxes.
I absolutely love my husband for being so creative and helping me to build our food storage!!

15 comments:

Bethany said...

That's awesome!!!

Emily said...

I love it- great idea!

Vanessa said...

Great idea!

Jaime said...

That is so awesome! He should make those and sell them to all the Mormon families without handy husbands. ;)

Meagan said...

Wow... that is awesome! Yeah, I agree with Jaime- he should sell them!

Vanessa said...

Oooh, I am super jealous! Your husband is super creative and I'll bet you can hardly wait to fill it up! Maybe I can coax him to make me one? Oh darn it, that means you'd have to come visit us for a few days.

Jessica W said...

Thanks Cory! I featured your set-up here: http://www.utahdealdiva.com/2010/01/my-food-storage-goal-neat-storage-idea.html

I appreciate you letting me feature this on my site! Keep me posted on any other neat posts you do- I'd be happy to link back to you again!

Emily said...

What a great idea!

Sidney said...

Just wondering if you are willing to provide us with dimensions so we can build ourself. Thanks.

Evelyn said...

kay, I totally want instructions so that I can make my own!!:-)

Cory said...

I'm unable to provide dimensions because my husband custom built ours to fit our bed. He basically took the five gallon buckets and measured those in heighth and width and built the whole thing using those dimensions along with the dimensions of our bed while making sure that everything was well braced and supported our weight plus the weight of the matress. We have a Eastern King. If you had a California King or Queen or Twin size bed, you would need to measure the matress and build you storage box according to your measurements. He also made sure to build it high enough so that it lined up well with our nightstands. We have a very thick pillowtop matress. All these things will need to be taken into consideration if you are going to build your own

Harmony said...

I love this! I am always looking for new storage ideas.

Evelyn said...

That is totally enough info, thanks Cory! Now for me to get my own measurements made...:-)

Triscuit94 said...

This is genius!

Stephanie said...

I know the dimensions will be different with every bed, but I was wondering what thickness of plywood did he use? Was it 3/4"?

Thanks!
~Stephanie