Sunday, March 15, 2009

Water Storage.... Oops!


Water storage has been on my mind lately. I kept telling my husband that we needed to get those 55 gallon drums for storing water. All I currently have is about 12 individual gallons bought from the grocery store and a case of bottled water. Today at church they passed around a sign up sheet to order either 30 or 55 gallon drums for water storage. I decided to put my name down for a 30 gallon one with the complete set up with the pump and everything. It was offered to us at a good price and I hoped that my loving husband wouldn't be too upset when I told him that I had ordered it without consulting him first. Even though it was a discounted rate, it's still pretty pricey but I really felt the need to order at least one! On the car ride home, I was about to mention that I had signed us up for one 30 gallon drum, when he turns to me and says "Oh, Honey! I saw a sign up sheet today for water storage drums and I signed us up for three used 55 gallon drums!" Uh Oh!!! I reluctantly told him that I had also signed us up for a 30 gallon one. So it looks as if we will be getting three 55 gallon drums and one 30 gallon drum. Oops. Oh well, you can never be too prepared right??
It's recommended to have 14 gallons of drinking water stored per person in case of emergency. That's the bare minimum. Water for cooking and washing is extra. Now it loos like we will have more than enough water for drinking, cooking and washing if there is ever an emergency! 48.75 gallons per person to be exact!

3 comments:

Kate said...

YAY for you guys! It must have been something you guys needed to do for it to turn out that way! Doesnt it feel good?
-wiimiii

Allison Drew said...

Maybe this is a dumb question... and if so, I'm sorry. I don't know much about all this. But are you just storing stuff up in preparation for a disaster? Is there a reason for all of this or is it more of a money saving technique?

Cory said...

Really it's both. If there were to be a natural disater and the stores were closed and looted out (like during Katrina) then my family would have enough to feed ourselves and our neighbors in case we were in a situation like that. I live in California so an Earthquake is a huge worry here. With what I have right now, I would have enough of the basics to continue to eat the way we normally do for quite awhile. Also it can be for when times get tough. My mother and father in law have a great example of how they were able to live off of their food storage for quite a while. He lost his job and was out of work for 6 months with 5 boys and a wife to take care of. They turned to their food storage and were able to eat for 6 months until he found another job. The money they had in savings went to pay bills but they never had to worry about feeding their family because they were prepared and had a year supply of food stored in their home. My goal is to have a year supply, but I'm getting there slowly. One step at a time right?